A total number of 52 applications for SASNET planning grants were received.Total amount applied for was SEK 4 289 019. Decisions were taken on 26 August 2008. SEK 965 000 were distributed.
Networking grants/planning for new research projects
- Anders Björkman, Malaria Research Unit, Dept. of Medicine, Karolinska Institutet Medical University, Stockholm: ”Molecular characterization of clinical isolates of Plasmodium falciparium in Pakistan”. SEK 45 000
- Artur Chodorowski, Department of Signals and Systems, Chalmers University of Technology, Göteborg: ”Pattern Recognition methods for early detection of precancerous oral lesions in South Asia”. SEK 75 000
- Mattias Larsen, PADRIGU, School of Global Studies, Göteborg University: ”Development and Demography in North-Western India: Emerging Contexts of Daughter Discrimination”. SEK 75 000
- Abul Mandal, School of Life Sciences, Skövde University: ”Development of new varieties of crops for avoiding loss of harvest caused by climatic instability in Bangladesh”. SEK 45 000
- Ebbe Nordlander, Chemical Physics, Centre for Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Lund University: ”Modelling of hydrodesulfurization reactions and development of new molecular hydrodesulfurization catalysts”. SEK 75 000
- Camilla Orjuela, PADRIGU, School of Global Studies, Göteborg University: ”Corruption and Conflict: Challenges for Local Governance in Sri Lanka”. SEK 75 000
- Leslie Paul and Sadhna Alström, Dept. of Forest Mycology and Pathology, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences (SLU), Uppsala: ”Development of a collaborative research project between Indian and Swedish researchers towards sustainable hillberry production for small farm holders in Himalayan states of India”. SEK 75 000
- Joyanto Routh, Dept. of Geology and Geochemistry, Stockholm University: ”Biogeochemical signatures and high-resolution paleoclimatic records in spelotherms from caves in Meghalaya (India)”. SEK 60 000
Grants for organising an Interdisciplinary Workshop
- Alia Ahmad, Dept. of Economics, Lund University: Workshop about Designing action research on the development of inland fisheries for poverty alleviation in Bangladesh. SEK 75 000
- Anna Laine, Social Anthropology, School of Global Studies, Göteborg University: ”Workshop on The Kolam Practice – in Dialogue with Anthropology and Art Practice”. SEK 75 000
- Maria Lantz, Art & Architecture, Royal University College of Fine Arts (KKH): Workshop on DHARAVI: Documenting Informalities. SEK 75 000
- Mikael Schultz, PADRIGU, School of Global Studies, Göteborg University: Workshop: Sri Lanka Conference on Peace and Development Research. SEK 75 000
Grants for a Guest Lecture Programme
- Daniel Andersson and Åke Sander, Dept. of Religious Studies, theology and classical philology, Göteborg University: Invitation of Dr. Dipak Malik, Gandhian Institute of Studies, Jamui Campus, Bihar, India. Co-invited by: Religious Studies, Högskolan Dalarna; and Dept. of Sociology, Lund University. SEK 20 000
- Neelambar Hatti, Dept. of Economic History, Lund University: Invitation of Dr. T V Sekher, Associate Professor, Department of Population Policies and Programs, International Institute for Population Sciences, Mumbai, India. Co-invited by: Nordic Centre in India (NCI) to deliver lectures at Umeå University, Stockholm University and Göteborg University. SEK 20 000
- Jan Johansson, Social Anthropology, School of Global Studies, Göteborg University: Invitation of Dr. Mahbub Alam, Assistant Professor, School of Liberal Arts and Science, Independent University of Bangladesh (IUB). Co-invited by: Uppsala Centre for Sustainable Development (CSD). SEK 20 000
- Diane Pecorari, School for Education, Culture and Communication, Mälardalens högskola: Invitation of Dr. Ashis Sengupta, University of North Bengal, India. Co-invited by: Dept. of Humanities, Växjö University; and School of Arts and Languages, Högskolan Dalarna . SEK 20 000
- Joyanto Routh, Dept. of Geology and Geochemistry, Stockholm University: Invitation of Dr. S P Sinha Ray, Centre for Groundwater Studies, Kolkata, India. Co-invited by: Geological Survey of Sweden (SGU), Stockholm; Uppsala University (Hydrology Section); and Division of Land and Water Resources Engineering, Royal Institute of Technology (KTH), Stockholm. SEK 20 000
- Ferdinando Sardella, Dept. of Religious Studies, theology and classical philology, Göteborg University: Invitation of Dr. Ruby Sain, Dept. of Sociology, Jadavpur University, Kolkata, India. Co-invited by Vårdal Institute, Lund University. SEK 20 000
- Ashok Swain, Dept. of Peace and Conflict Research, Uppsala University: Invitation of K V Raju, Professor and Head, Centre for Ecological Economics and Natural Resources, Institute for Social and Economic Change, Bangalore, India. Co-invited by: Dept. of Archaeology, Conservation and History, University of Oslo. SEK 20 000.
- Due to unforeseen reasons, Prof. Raju could not come to Sweden. Instead SASNET permitted the grant to be used to invite Dr. D. R. Sahoo, Professor of Sociology, Ravenshaw University, Orissa, India, to participate in the World Sociological Congress held in Gothenburg, July 2010.