A total number of 26 applications for SASNET planning grants were received. Total amount applied for was 2.34 Million SEK. Decisions were taken on 27 August 2002. SEK 700 000 were distributed.
Planning grants for research programmes/projects
- Ranjula Bali Swain, Dept of Economics, Uppsala University: “Feminization of Debt: Women Empowerment and Social Impact of Microfinance in South Asia.” 75 000 SEK.
- Anju Saxena, Dept of Linguistics, Uppsala University: “Digital documentation of Indian minority languages.” 110 000 SEK.
- Catarina Kinnvall, Dept of Political Science, Lund University: “Globalization and the State in India.” 25 000 SEK
- Gunilla Lindmark, International Maternal and Child Health (IMCH), Dept of Women’s and Children’s Health, Uppsala University: “Promoting adolescent reproductive health: Networking in Asia.” 65 000 SEK
- Lennart Strömquist, Programme on Applied Environmental Impact Assessment, Department of Social and Economic Geography, Uppsala University: “Environmental management and monitoring from multidisciplinary perspectives as illustrated by the Negombo lagoon in Sri Lanka.” 65 000 SEK
- Benoit Guieysse, Dept of Biotechnology, Lund University: “Combined biophysical remediation processes for the cost-efficient removal of Persistent Organic Pollutants.” 55 000 SEK
- Bo S Lindblad, Dept of Public Health, Division of International Health, Karolinska Institutet Medical University: “Pregnancy and Infancy in South Asia.” 110 000 SEK
- Baboo M Nair, Applied Nutrition and Food Chemistry, Center for Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Lund University: “The development of an interdisciplinary Swedish South Asian Studies Network for research on fermentation of foods in relation to public health and social welfare”. 110 000 SEK.
Planning grant for educational programmes/projects
- Martha J Garreth, International Maternal and Child Health (IMCH), Dept of Women’s and Children’s Health, Uppsala University: “Guidance of Swedish Master’s Students Doing Interdisciplinary Research in International Health in Sri Lanka.” 60 000 SEK
- Ashok Swain, Dept of Peace and Conflict Research, Uppsala University; and Pamela Price, Dept. of History, University of Oslo, Norway: “Nordic Centre in India.” 25 000 SEK