Newsletter 5 - 9 May 2001
SWEDISH SOUTH ASIAN STUDIES NETWORK
Subscribe to the newsletter by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org!
• Registers under construction
Presently, SASNET has started to collect information for our registers on South Asia research and education environments at Swedish universities and colleges. We are also collecting information for an individual register on South Asia related researchers and teachers in Sweden.
• Planning Grants 2001
On 27 April, the reference group consisting of Mr. Tomas Kjellqvist (Sida-SAREC), Prof. Pamela Price (Department of History, Oslo), Dr. Neil Webster (Centre for Development Research, Copenhagen), and Dr. Malin Åkerblom (International Science Programme, Uppsala) has decided to approve of grants to the following persons and programmes:
Planning grants for research programmes
Jan Lundqvist/Julie Wilks, Department of Water and Environmental Studies, Linköping University: “Triple Integration. Targeting poverty with water and social programmes.”
Bo Mattiasson, Biotechnology, Lund University: “Environmental Remediation and Sustainable Development.”
Planning grants for education programmes
K. Hanumantha Rao, Chemical and Metallurgical Engineering, Mineral Processing, Luleå University of Technology: “International Master of Science Program in Natural Resources Engineering.”
Gunilla Gren-Eklund, Asian and African Languages, Uppsala University: “Planning of meetings and courses for students at the Nordic Centre in New Delhi.”
Travel grants for research programmes
Eva Hellman, History of Religions, Uppsala University: “Gender and religious activism in South Asia: A study of Christian, Hindu and Muslim women’s organisations”.
Bo S. Lindblad, Karolinska Institutet Medical University, Stockholm: ”Pregnancy and Infancy in South Asia.” Travel grant for bridging the gap between the humanities, social sciences, natural sciences, and technology:
Eva Myrdal-Runebjer, Museion, Göteborg University: “Exploring the state of the art of the South Asian societal/nature interface through time.”
New items on our website
• Zarina Nahar Kabir, Karolinska Institutet, will defend her doctoral thesis “
• Sodeco (Social Development Consultants) at the Dept of Sociology/Lund University is looking for three qualified persons within the fields of Statistics, Sociology/Anthropology, Political Science and Law to carry out the planning, implementation and analysis of an inter-disciplinary 3 years UN project on Violence against Women in Pakistan. Tenders should be submitted before May 18.
• Global Conference on Genocide in Dhaka, Bangladesh, January, 13-14 , 2002
• In Denmark, the Commission on Development-Related Research has just released its report called ”
• An interdisciplinary group of researchers at Aarhus University, Denmark, has started an India Studies Group, in order to promote further research and studies relating to India. So far the Indian Studies Department, Political Science, History, English and Social Anthropology are represented, but other disciplines may join the group later.
• NASA, Nordic Association for South Asian Studies, holds its biannual conference with the theme ”
• 17th European Conference on Modern South Asian Studies at Heidelberg, July 23 - 28, 2002
• ScienceDirect & Elsevier
• WWW Virtual Library
• Asia Society
• University of Pennsylvania
• University of California
• University of Virginia
• World Resources Institute
• Government of India
• Amnesty International
• Dictionary Search, Currency converter, Hindu calendar
and other practical information
– new sites:
We are constantly adding new links to
Best regards Staffan Lindberg Lars Eklund Lisbeth Andersson
SASNET – Swedish South Asian Studies Network
International Office Lund University P. O. Box 117 SE-221 00 Lund
Phone: + 46 46 222 73 40 Fax: + 46 46 222 96 65
Web site: http://sasnet.soc.lu.se
Visiting address: Gamla Kirurgen, Sandgatan 3, first floor, room no. 230 Internal university postcode: 34.
Our office is manned weekdays in the afternoon between 13-17, and open to visitors between 13-14. You are welcome to call us then, but we prefer e-mail communication.
Lisbeth Andersson, program secretary
Lars Eklund, webmaster
Staffan Lindberg, co-ordinator
Jan Magnusson, webmaster/program secretary, currently on leave