SASNET South Asian Country information
Links to SASNET country pages
Academic Info, online since 1998, is an independent Internet subject directory owned by Michael Madin, previously working at University of Washington Gallagher Law Library. It is a non-profit organization maintained with the assistance of a quality group of subject specialists. They offer extensive links resources to South Asian Studies material.
Edited by various Institutions around the World, connected to the Asian Studies World Wide Web Virtual Library Project, maintained at the Australian National University
• Afghanistan WWW Virtual Library History, created by University of Kansas, USA
• India WWW Virtual Library
• Nepal WWW Virtual Library
• The Pakistan Virtual Library, maintained by David Magier of Columbia University, New York
• Sri Lanka WWW Virtual Library
ELDIS (ELectronic Development Information Source) – Gateway to Development Information is an ambitious gateway hosted by the Institute of Development Studies, Sussex, UK. It is jointly funded by Danida (Danish International Development Assistance), Sida (Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency), Norad (Norwegian Agency for Development Coopeartion), and SDC (Swiss agency for Development and Cooperation).
ELDIS offers an easy route to the latest information on international development and environmental issues; through descriptions and links to a variety of information sources, including online documents, organisation's web sites, databases, library catalogues, bibliographies, and email discussion lists. ELDIS also offers research project information, and a selection of the major websites covering 40 development sectors. Among the resources are right now:
Eldis offers Country Profiles for all the South Asian countries, accessing information on Health; Education; Gender; Agriculture; Trade and Finance; Governance; Environment; Poverty; Food security & emergencies; and Aid and debt. Besides are offered links to latest news, and to key websites on the respective country.
• has a directory of official web sites of India, which gives information on the Indian Parliament, Supreme Court, the Ministries, Governmental organizations etc. Here you also find links to official web sites of all the Indian states and union territories.
• Census of India offers detailed demographic statistics based on the census results. Censuses in India are held every 10 years, last time in March 2001.
• The US Central Intelligence Agency CIA) offers detailed information on the Chiefs of State & Cabinet Members of the South Asian Governments, besides general information about the countries.
• Afghanistan Research Group is an informal association of scholars, writers, diplomats and of aid and development experts, based in Germany, who have worked or still work in or on Afghanistan. They offer a web site full of information, articles and links to Internet Resources on Afghanistan. The site is managed by Dr Bernt Glatzer, Berlin.
• Institute for Afghan Studies (IAS), Internet-based institute run by some of the World’s leading scholars on Afghanistan, with the goal ”to foster a better understanding of Afghan affairs through scholarly research and studies.” The IAS homepage provides valuable information about the political situation in Afghanistan (including accords and treaties), the role of the Taliban in Afghan history, about the UN Talks on Afghanistan in Bonn, etc. It offers bibliographies for Afghanistan and the Taleban, a who-is-who of the Taliban, background information about the history of Afghanistan and its economy, maps and much more.